Brig. Gen. Douglas S. Coppinger is the Deputy Chief, Central Security Service, National Security Agency, Fort George G. Meade, Maryland. He assists the Chief, Central Security Service, who also serves as the Commander, U.S. Cyber Command, and Director, National Security Agency, with operational control of signals intelligence missions conducted by all military services and the Coast Guard, comprising more than 16,600 personnel.
After a decade of service as a cryptologic linguist, General Coppinger earned his commission as Honor Graduate of Officer Training School in 1993. He is a career Intelligence Officer, a Network Attack Specialist, a Latin American Foreign Area Officer (FAO), and has served in various key leadership positions at the tactical, operational and strategic levels. Prior to his current assignment, he served as the Director of Intelligence, U.S. Cyber Command.
General Coppinger has deployed to Bogota, Colombia; Dhahran, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia; Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina; Baghdad, Iraq; Al Udeid, Qatar; and Camp Arifjan, Kuwait in support of Operations Southern Watch, Joint Forge, Iraqi Freedom, New Dawn, Enduring Freedom, the Combined Joint Task Force – Horn of Africa, and the Combined Joint Task Force—Operation Inherent Resolve.
1991 Bachelor of Science, Liberal Arts, Regents College, University of the State of New York
1994 Intelligence Officer Course, Distinguished Graduate, Goodfellow Air Force Base, TX
1997 Master of Science, Strategic Intelligence, National Intelligence University, Washington, D.C.
1998 Squadron Officer School, Outstanding Contributor, Maxwell AFB, AL
2004 Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, VA
2006 Master of Military Operational Art and Science, Air Command and Staff College, Exceptional Graduate,
Outstanding Contributor, Hesselbein Leadership Award, Maxwell AFB, AL
2011 Master of Arts, National Security and Strategic Studies, Naval War College, Newport, RI
2017 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
2017 Global/Regional Course – Africa, Alan L. Freed Associates, Washington D.C.
2019 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC
2019 Senior Joint Information Operations Applications Course, Air University, Maxwell AFB, AL
1. Jul 1993 – Mar 1994, Student, intelligence officer school, Goodfellow AFB, TX
2. May 1994 – Jul 1996, Commander, EC global threat analysis flight, 26th Intelligence Squadron, Eglin AFB, FL
3. Aug 1996 – Sep 1997, Student, National Intelligence University, Washington D.C.
4. Sep 1997 – Jan 1998, Supervisor, USAF intelligence officer course, 315th Training Squadron, Goodfellow AFB, TX
5. Jan 1998 – May 2000, Executive Officer, 17th Training Wing, Goodfellow AFB, TX
6. May 2000 – Jul 2002, Commander, 313th Training Squadron, Corry Station, Pensacola, FL
7. Jul 2002 – Jul 2005, Executive Assistant to the Commander, U.S. Strategic Command, Offutt AFB, NE
8. Jul 2005 – Jun 2006, Student, Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, AL
9. Jul 2006 – Jun 2008, Commander, Detachment 1, 22d Intelligence Squadron, Nellis AFB, NV
10. Jun 2008 – Jun 2010, Commander, 91st Cyberspace Operations Squadron, JBSA-Lackland, TX