Summer Language Program
NSA offers foreign language students the opportunity to sharpen their language skills in reading and listening to a professional level. As an apprentice to senior NSA language analysts, you'll gain intensive experience exploiting communications for vital intelligence missions. You'll also have the unique opportunity for multi-dimensional and cross-disciplinary growth in analytical skills.
About the Program
The Summer Language Program is an intensive 12-week intern program intended for high-potential full-time college upperclassman and graduate students. It is intended for college students who have taken at least one language course per semester, or who have achieved language proficiency through some other means (for instance, native/heritage speakers). The program can begin after your sophomore year and if mutually agreeable, continues during the summer after your junior year. Participation during a second summer is encouraged but not required. At the end of your second summer, an offer may be given for you to join NSA after graduation.
The Summer Language program is hiring students studying Chinese, Korean, Arabic, Russian, and Spanish. The languages may change from year to year based on the Agency's projected hiring needs.
The summer includes
- A language mentor assigned from NSA's language analysis team
- Hands-on operational experience
- Relevant job-specific briefings
- Job-specific and language-related training
Applications are accepted September 1st - October 15th each year.
Students are paid a competitive salary commensurate with their education level.
- Receive annual leave, sick leave and paid federal holidays
- Participation in agency-wide extracurricular programs
- Students who attend schools in excess of 75 miles from Ft. Meade, MD, are eligible for a round trip airfare ticket to and from school or mileage reimbursement up to the cost of a government-issued airline ticket.
- Daily transportation to and from work is not provided. Students participating in the program are highly encouraged to bring a vehicle. Carpooling with other students MAY be available but NOT guaranteed
- Subsidized housing accommodations are available upon request if school is located in excess of 75 miles from NSA main HQs campus
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must be eligible to be granted a security clearance
- Must have at least one semester of college study remaining at the conclusion of the summer internship
- Must have taken at least one language course per semester, or have achieved language proficiency though some other means (for instance, native/heritage speakers)
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 is preferred
- A 3.5 average GPA in all language/area studies is preferred
- Must be available for an operational interview and other applicable processing between December 2014 and March 2015
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online on or before October 15th. Applications received after the deadline, as well as incomplete packets, will not be considered.
To submit a resume online during open season, click any "Apply Online" link. Under "Basic Job Search," type in keywords "Summer Language Program," and click on "search." Select Summer Language Program and click "Apply Now." Follow directions as prompted.
To be considered for the Summer Language Program, you must submit a complete application package that includes:
- Unofficial transcripts
- A resume
- A list of your current fall semester courses and your proposed spring course schedule
IMPORTANT: When applying online, you may only submit your resume. Please email the requested documentation to Summer_Interns@nsa.gov or by mail at the following address:
National Security Agency
Office of Recruitment
9800 Savage Road, Suite 6779
Fort Meade, MD 20755-6779
Attn: MB3, Summer Language Program
Applications are not complete without the requested documentation.
If you have questions about the Summer Language Program, please contact us at the address above or call 1-866-NSA-HIRE. You may also e-mail Summer_Interns@nsa.gov or call (410) 854-4726.