Summer Language Program
Undergraduate and graduate students will learn to analyze foreign communications for vital intelligence missions by apprenticing with experienced language analysts. Geopolitical, cultural, and technical knowledge may be used to understand both overtly stated meaning and subtly implied intent as you scan, translate, and transcribe foreign communications, then report critical information to U.S. government customers.
About the Program
The Summer Language Program is a 12-week internship intended for high-potential full-time college upperclassmen and graduate students. Foreign language proficiency combined with a wide array of majors and minors will be considered for this program, which can be a one-summer or two-summer internship. The program may begin after your sophomore year, and if mutually agreeable, continue the summer after your junior year. Likewise, the program may begin the summer after your junior year and continue the summer between your senior year and your first year of graduate school. The program may also take place in the summers between years of graduate study. Participation during a second summer is encouraged but not required. At the end of your internship, an offer may be extended for you to join NSA in a full-time position after graduation.
The 2016 Summer Language Program is hiring students with proficiency in Arabic, Chinese, Farsi, Korean, Russian, and Spanish. The languages may change from year to year based on the Agency’s projected hiring needs.
The summer includes
- A language mentor assigned from NSA’s language analysis team
- Hands-on operational experience
- Relevant job-specific briefings
- Job-specific training and customized language training
Applications are accepted 15 May 2015 thru 15 Oct 2015 for the 2016 Summer Language Program.
Students are paid a competitive salary commensurate with their education level
- Receive annual leave, sick leave, and paid federal holidays
- Participation in agency-wide extracurricular programs
- Students may be eligible for transportation to and from school.
- Daily transportation to and from work is not provided. Students participating in the program are highly encouraged to bring a vehicle. Carpooling with other students MAY be available but is not guaranteed
- Subsidized housing accommodations are available upon request if school is located in excess of 75 miles from NSA main headquarters campus
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must be eligible to be granted a security clearance
- Must have at least one semester or quarter of college study remaining at the conclusion of the summer internship
- Must have language proficiency in one of the advertised foreign languages
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale is preferred
- A 3.5 average GPA in language/area studies courses is preferred
- Must be available for an operational interview, language testing, and other applicable processing at some point between June 2015 and January 2016.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online on or before October 15. Applications received after the deadline, as well as incomplete applications, will not be considered.
To submit a resume online during open season, click any “Apply Online” link. Under “Basic Job Search”, type in keywords “Summer Language Program” and click on “search”. Select Summer Language Program and click “Apply Now”. Follow directions as prompted.
To be considered for the Summer Language Program, you must submit a complete application package that includes:
- Unofficial transcripts
- A list of your fall courses and proposed spring courses
- Your on-line application. Be sure to complete the College Education portion of the application. If you do not yet have a degree, list your school and your projected graduation date. You may use the Other Professional Details section of the application to include any additional relevant information, such as language immersions, scholarships, interests, etc
IMPORTANT: The on-line application is a Build-A-Resume format that does not allow you to attach existing resumes or transcripts. Please email transcripts and the requested fall/spring course lists to Summer_Interns@nsa.gov, or send by mail to the following address:
National Security Agency
Office of Recruitment
9800 Savage Road, Suite 6779
Fort Meade, MD 20755-6779
Attn: MB3, Summer Language Program
Applications are not complete without the requested documentation.
If you have questions about the Summer Language Program, please contact us at the addresses above. You may also call 1-866-NSA-HIRE or (410) 854-4726.