Data Center Management Intern Program
Data Center Management (DCM) is a dynamic, emerging field created to govern the facilities and complex engineering frameworks that support massive parallel computing systems. DCM involves an unprecedented integrated approach that combines Power and HVAC Engineering disciplines with Telecommunications and Business Management. All of these branches of knowledge join together to help create a safe and secure environment where parallel computing systems and their infrastructure can operate at peak efficiency with optimal potential for future expansion. DCM also involves ensuring that efficient and forward-thinking practices are implemented during the construction, installation, and maintenance projects that occur regularly within the walls of an operating data center.
About the Program
The program is a 12-week internship that provides Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Information Systems Management students with real world exposure to Data Center Management and Technology. Participants will gain experience through a hands-on approach to what it takes to manage a data center. From deployments of new systems and their associated Mechanical, Electrical, and IT requirements, participants will have gained valuable knowledge and insight for a growing demand in the data center marketplace.
Previous intern projects have included:
- Research of Data Center Infrastructure Management (DCIM) tools, which are software based programs to better manage most aspects of a data center
- Creation of server room layout to optimize efficiency of a data center
- Use of 6 Sigma Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD) tool to better understand how certain factors affect the IT environment
- Research of ideas to prevent overheating of data centers
- Physical, hands-on moving of IT equipment and infrastructure to improve data center efficiency
Applications are accepted September 1st - October 31st each year.
Interns are paid a competitive salary commensurate with their education level.
- Receive annual leave, sick leave and paid federal holidays
- Participation in agency-wide extracurricular programs
- Students who attend schools in excess of 75 miles from Ft. Meade, MD are eligible for a round trip airfare ticket to and from school or mileage reimbursement up to the cost of a government-issued airline ticket.
- Daily transportation to and from work is not provided. Students participating in the program are highly encouraged to bring a vehicle. Carpooling with other students MAY be available but is NOT guaranteed.
- Subsidized housing accommodations are available upon request if school is located in excess of 75 miles from NSA main HQs campus.
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must be eligible to be granted a security clearance
- GPA of 3.0 or higher is preferred
- Must be majoring in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Information Systems Management
- Must possess strong written and oral communication skills
- Must be available for an operational interview and other applicable processing between December and March
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online on or before October 31st. Applications received after the deadline, as well as incomplete packages, will not be considered.
To submit a resume online during open season, click any "Apply Online" link. Under "Basic Job Search," type in keywords "Data Center Management Intern Program" and click on "Search." Select "Data Center Management Intern Program" and click "Apply Now." Follow the directions as prompted.
To be considered for the Data Center Management Intern Program, your application should include:
If you have questions about the Data Center Management Intern Program, please contact us at 1-866-NSA-HIRE. You may also e-mail Summer_Interns@nsa.gov or call (410) 854-4726.