Cyber Summer Program (CSP)
The Cyber Summer Program (CSP) is the National Security Agency's (NSA) premier outreach effort to the very best undergraduate and graduate computer science, engineering, mathematics, network security and information assurance students in the country. Each summer we invite up to 16 exceptional students to participate in a 12-week program where they work together, and in teams, directly with NSA technical professionals on mission-critical cyber-related problems.
The goals of the Cyber Summer Program are to:
- Introduce our country's future leaders in cyber-related fields to the Agency's mission and share with them the excitement of working on problems of national importance,
- Provide a deep understanding of the vital role that computer science, engineering, mathematics, network security and information assurance plays in enabling the Agency to tackle a diverse set of technical challenges,
- Encourage bright undergraduate computer science, engineering, mathematics, network security and information assurance majors to continue their studies and pursue careers in the cyber-related fields,
- Provide solutions to current operational problems.
About the Program
The students participating in the program work on a broad range of problems involving applications of computer science and engineering. During the first weeks of the summer internship, they are broadly exposed to NSA's cyber mission through a variety of lectures, classes and tours. The students are presented with a set of current mission-driven problems and choose which problems they will focus on for the summer. The outstanding work accomplished by each student will be presented to Senior NSA leadership as well as documented in the CSP year-end report. Students learn and develop data analysis, network analysis and exploitation techniques, apply what they learn to obtain real-time solutions, and experience the excitement of success built on hard work and innovation. All the students find the work at NSA very exciting and challenging.
Applications are accepted September 1st - October 31st each year.
Students are paid a competitive salary commensurate with their education level.
- Receive annual leave, sick leave and paid federal holidays
- Participation in agency-wide extracurricular programs
- Students who attend schools in excess of 75 miles from Ft. Meade, MD, are eligible for a round trip airfare ticket to and from school or mileage reimbursement up to the cost of a government-issued airline ticket.
- Daily transportation to and from work is not provided. Students participating in the program are highly encouraged to bring a vehicle. Carpooling with other students MAY be available but NOT guaranteed
- Subsidized housing accommodations are available upon request if school is located in excess of 75 miles from NSA main HQs campus
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must be eligible to be granted a security clearance
- A GPA of 3.0 or higher is preferred
- Must be a college junior, senior, or graduate student with at least one semester remaining
- Must be a computer science, engineering, mathematics, network security or information assurance major or closely related discipline
- Must be available for an operational interview and other applicable processing between December 2014 and March 2015
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online at NSA.gov on or before October 31st. Applications received after the deadline, as well as incomplete packages, will not be considered.
To submit a resume online during open season, click any 'Apply Online' link. Under "Basic Job Search", type in keywords "Cyber Summer Program" and click on "Search". Select Cyber Summer Program and click "Apply Now." Follow directions as prompted.
To be considered for Cyber Summer Program, your application should include:
- Official transcripts through the current academic year
- A resume
- Two letters of recommendation from faculty members or employers familiar with your work
IMPORTANT: When applying online, you may only submit your resume. Please email the requested documentation to Summer_Interns@nsa.gov or by mail at the following address:
National Security Agency
Office of Recruitment
9800 Savage Road, Suite 6779
Fort Meade, MD 20755-6779
Attn: MB3, Cyber Summer Program
Applications are not complete without the requested documentation.
If you have questions about the Cyber Summer Program, please contact us at the address above or call 1-866-NSA-HIRE. You may also e-mail Summer_Interns@nsa.gov or call (410) 854-4726.