Computer Science Intern Program (CSIP)
In the Computer Science Intern Program (CSIP), you will gain first-hand experience in critical work at NSA, while making a valuable contribution to national security. And you'll be earning a salary too!
As a CSIP intern, you will have the opportunity to apply your Computer Science skills to NSA hardware and software systems.
About the Program
The Computer Science Intern Program (CSIP) is an intense and exciting 12-week immersive internship open to select college undergraduate and graduate students majoring in Computer Science or closely related disciplines. Interns are assigned to projects that contribute to NSA's mission. Projects culminate in a short presentation and technical paper. Projects are typically in the areas of:
- Big Data
- Information Retrieval
- Information Visualization
- Computer and Network Security
- Human Language Technology/Computational Linguistics
- Ontology/Taxonomy and Graphical Analysis
- Information Query and Question Answering
- Knowledge and Data Representation, Distillation and Sharing
- Knowledge and Database Crawling
- Software Agent Planning and Control
- Signal Processing
- Architecture & Systems
Applications are accepted September 1st - October 31st each year.
Students are paid a competitive salary commensurate with their education level.
- Receive annual leave, sick leave and paid federal holidays
- Participation in agency-wide extracurricular programs
- Students who attend schools in excess of 75 miles from Ft. Meade, MD, are eligible for a round trip airfare ticket to and from school or mileage reimbursement up to the cost of a government-issued airline ticket.
- Daily transportation to and from work is not provided. Students participating in the program are highly encouraged to bring a vehicle. Carpooling with other students MAY be available but NOT guaranteed
- Subsidized housing accommodations are available upon request if school is located in excess of 75 miles from NSA main HQs campus
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must be eligible to be granted a security clearance
- A GPA of 3.0 or higher is preferred
- Must be a college junior, senior, or graduate student with at least one semester remaining
- Must be a Computer Science major or closely related discipline
- Must be available for an operational interview and other applicable processing between December and March
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online on or before October 31st. Applications received after the deadline, as well as incomplete packages, will not be considered.
To submit a resume online during open season, click any "Apply Online" link. Under "Basic Job Search", type in keywords "Computer Science Intern Program" and click on "search." Select Computer Science Intern Program and click "Apply Now." Follow directions as prompted.
To be considered for CSIP, you must submit a complete application package that includes:
- Official transcript (unofficial is acceptable if legible)
- A resume
IMPORTANT: When applying online, you may only submit your resume. Please email the requested documentation to Summer_Interns@nsa.gov or by mail at the following address:
National Security Agency
Office of Recruitment
9800 Savage Road, Suite 6779
Fort Meade, MD 20755-6779
Attn: MB3, Computer Science Intern Program
Applications are not complete without the requested documentation.
If you have questions about the Computer Science Intern Program, please contact us at the address above or call 1-866-NSA-HIRE. You may also e-mail Summer_Interns@nsa.gov or call (410) 854-4726.