Brig. Gen. Matteo Martemucci is the Deputy Chief, Central Security Service, National Security Agency, Fort George G. Meade, Maryland. He assists the Chief, Central Security Service, who also serves as the Commander, U.S. Cyber Command, and Director, National Security Agency, with operational control of signals intelligence missions conducted by all military services and the Coast Guard, comprising more than 16,600 personnel.
Brig. Gen. Martemucci commissioned in 1994 as a graduate of Penn State University. He is a career intelligence officer and Cyberspace Operator. He has commanded at the squadron, group and wing levels, and has served on staff assignments with the Air Staff, Joint Staff and Office of the Secretary of Defense. Additionally, he has served in special operations (Airborne), combat search and rescue, fighter aircraft and signals intelligence units. He has deployed in support of operations Decisive Endeavor, Southern Watch, Iraqi Freedom, Enduring Freedom and Inherent Resolve. A fully qualified European foreign area officer, he is fluent in Czech and conversant in Italian and Spanish languages. He is also a military parachutist with 25 jumps from seven different aircraft types. As a former Hoover Institution National Security Affairs Fellow, Brig. Gen. Martemucci continues to speak publicly on issues of cyber strategy and policy. Prior to his current position, he served as the Director of Intelligence for US Cyber Command, Fort Meade, Maryland, where he was the principal intelligence advisor to the Commander and informed the planning and execution of full-spectrum cyber operations to defend the Nation and enable combat operations around the globe.
1994 Bachelor of Arts, International Politics, Penn State University, State College, Penn.
1994 Distinguished Graduate, U.S. Air Force Fundamentals of Intelligence Course and Graduate, Intelligence Officer Applications Course, Goodfellow Air Force Base, Tex.
1999 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2002 Graduate Certificate, Organizational Management, The George Washington University, Washington, D.C.
2003 Master of Science, International Relations, Troy State University, Ala.
2003 Air Command & Staff College, Seminar, Montgomery AFB, Ala.
2007 Master of Science, Joint Campaign Planning & Strategy, Joint Advanced Warfighting School, National Defense University, Norfolk, Va.
2009 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2011 National Security Affairs Fellowship, Hoover Institution, Stanford University, Palo Alto, Calif.
2017 Leading Strategically course, Center for Creative Leadership, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2021 National & International Security Leadership Seminar, Alan L. Freed Associates, Washington, D.C.
2021 Enterprise Leadership Seminar, Kenan-Flagler Business School, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
2023 Leading Data & AI-Enabled Organizations course, Johns Hopkins University, MD
2023 Cybersecurity: The Intersection of Policy & Technology course, Harvard Kennedy School, Cambridge, MA
1. November 1994–May 1995, Student, 17th Training Wing, Goodfellow Air Force Base, Texas
2. January 1996–February 1996, Detachment Intelligence Officer, 99th Reconnaissance Squadron, Istres-Le Tube Air Base, France
3. January 1997–April 1997, Chief of Intelligence Operations, 4404th Wing, Prince Sultan AB, Saudi Arabia
4. July 1995–November 1997, Chief, Test Squadron Intelligence Support, Air Force Flight Test Center, Edwards AFB, CA
5. November 1997–May 1998, Operations Officer, Czech Military Liaison Team, Prague, Czech Republic
6. June 1998–July 2000, Intelligence Operations Officer, Special Operations Command Joint Forces Command, Norfolk, VA
7. July 2000–May 2001, Chief, Intelligence Systems Element and Deputy Commander, Intelligence Flight, 51st Operations Support Squadron, Osan AB, South Korea
8. June 2001–June 2002, Air Force Intern, the Pentagon, Arlington, VA
9. August 2002–July 2004, Flight Commander & Chief, Joint National-Tactical Integration Branch, 566th Information Operations Squadron, Denver, CO
10. August 2004–July 2006, Intelligence Flight Commander/Senior Intelligence Officer, 347th Rescue Wing, Moody AFB, GA
11. April 2005–July 2005, Chief of Intelligence, 64th Expeditionary Rescue Squadron, Balad AB, Iraq
12. August 2006–June 2007, Student, Joint Advanced Warfighting School, National Defense University, Norfolk, VA
13. July 2007–June 2009, Director of Operations, 547th Intelligence Squadron, Nellis AFB, NV
14. June 2009–June 2011, Commander, 315th Network Warfare Squadron, Fort George G. Meade, MD
15. July 2011–June 2012, National Security Affairs Fellow, Hoover Institution, Stanford University, CA
16. July 2012–July 2013, Chief, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Division, 609th Air and Space Operations Center, U.S. Air Forces Central Command, Al Udeid AB, Qatar
17. July 2013–July 2015, Commander, 318th Cyberspace Operations Group, Joint Base San Antonio-Lackland, TX.
18. August 2015–May 2017, Assistant Deputy Director, Deputy Directorate for Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Operations, J-32, Joint Staff, Washington, D.C.
19. May 2017–June 2019, Commander, 70th ISR Wing, Fort George G. Meade, MD
20. June 2019–June 2020, Director of Intelligence, Combined Joint Task Force - Operation Inherent Resolve, Baghdad, Iraq
21. July 2020-July 2023, Director of Intelligence, US Cyber Command, Ft. Meade, MD
22. August 2023- Present, Deputy Chief, Central Security Service, National Security Agency, Ft. Meade, MD
SUMMARY OF JOINT ASSIGNMENTS
1. July 2012–July 2013, Chief, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Division, 609th Air and Space Operations Center, U.S. Air Forces Central Command, Al Udeid Air Base, Qatar, as a Colonel
2. August 2015–May 2017, Assistant Deputy Director, Deputy Directorate for ISR Operations, J-32, Joint Staff, Washington, D.C., as a Colonel
3. June 2019–June 2020, Director of Intelligence, Combined Joint Task Force - Operation Inherent Resolve, Baghdad, Iraq as a Brigadier General
4. July 2020–July 2023, Director of Intelligence, US Cyber Command, Ft. Meade, MD as a Brigadier General
5. August 2023- Present, Deputy Chief, Central Security Service, National Security Agency, Ft. Meade, MD as a Brigadier General
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Defense Superior Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Legion of Merit Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Bronze Star Medal
Defense Meritorious Service Medal
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Service Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with oak leaf cluster
“A Critical Analysis of the US Government’s Current Perception Management Efforts,” IOSphere, Winter 2008
“Unpunished Insults – The Looming Cyber Barbary Wars,” Case Western Reserve Journal of International Law 47 pp. 53-62, 2015
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 13, 1994
First Lieutenant August 8, 1996
Captain August 8, 1998
Major February 1, 2005
Lieutenant Colonel March 1, 2009
Colonel October 1, 2013
Brigadier General September 5, 2019
(Current as of August 2023)