Office of Diversity & Inclusion
The federally mandated Special Emphasis programs enable NSA to promote the recruitment and retention of a diverse workforce comprised of talented individuals from communities across the country. We know that our people are our greatest resource, so it is important that we value each individual and celebrate the knowledge, versatility, and experience that results from an inclusive workforce.
Federal Regulations mandate Special Emphasis programs to promote equal employment opportunity. In the spirit of championing awareness and fully supporting every member of our workforce, NSA offers the following Employee Resource Groups (ERGs):
- African American
- American Indian/Alaska Native
- American Veteran
- Asian American/Pacific Islander
- Islamic Cultural
- Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender & Allies
- People with Disabilities
The Special Emphasis programs consist of training events, speaker series, demonstrations, displays, panel discussions, and partnerships with departments throughout the agency to promote awareness, build relationships, and proactively meet the challenges that individuals in these groups encounter.
Examples of recent events:
- "ERG Engagement – Hispanics in the Workplace"
- "My Generation is Better Than Yours"
- "The Role of Women in Native American Societies from 1492 to Today"
- "Hallowed Grounds: Sites of African American Memories"
- NSA's Participation in the 2015 Society for the Advancement of Chicana/Hispanics and Native Americans in Science (SACNAS) National Conference
- "My Disability is One Part of Who I Am"
- "Defended by the Brave"
- "Weaving the Stories of Women's Lives to Inspire, Empower, Connect"
- "From Mattawan to Mecca (Inshallah): One Path to Islam"
- 4th Annual IC LGBTA Summit