Summer Intern Program for Information Assurance (SIP/IA)
The SIP/IA is a 12-week summer program meant to help accelerate your career in the field of Information Assurance by working for NSA. You will help protect and defend the nation's top secret information and information systems and help restore information systems by incorporating protection, detection, and reaction capabilities.
Applications are accepted between September and November each year, but please refer to the individual job listing for specific dates (see the How to Apply section below for additional details).
About the Program
The Summer Intern Program for Information Assurance (SIP/IA) is a full time 12-week program open to select college upperclassman and graduate students who are concentrating their studies in the disciplines of Information Assurance. To participate in this program, the student must return to school for at least one semester following the internship.
For purposes of this program, IA encompasses the scientific, technical, and management disciplines required to ensure computer and network security, such as:
- System/network administration and operations
- Systems security engineering
- Information assurance systems and product acquisition
- Threat and vulnerability assessment, including risk management
- Cyber security
- The operations of computer emergency response teams
- Information assurance training, education, and management
- Computer forensics
- Defensive information operations
Students must major in one of the following academic disciplines (with concentration in IA):
- Computer/Electrical Engineering
- Computer Science
- Software Engineering
- Cyber Security
- Operations Research
- Information Assurance
- Computer Forensics
- Security and Risk Analysis
- U.S. citizen
- Eligible for a security clearance
- GPA of 3.2 or higher is preferred
- Graduate or Undergraduate student; Undergraduate students must be in junior year or reached college junior status
- Must have at least one semester remaining following the internship. For Summer 2014, BS students should be graduating in December 2014 or in 2015, MS students may have a later graduation date.
- Must be available for an operational interview and other applicable processing between the months of December 2013 and March 2014
Students are paid a competitive salary commensurate with their education level.
- Receive annual and sick leave, federal holidays
- Access to Agency-wide extracurricular programs
- Those who attend schools in excess of 75 miles from Fort Meade, MD, are eligible for a round trip airline ticket to and from school or mileage reimbursement up to the cost of a government issued airline ticket.
- Daily transportation to and from work is not provided. Students participating in the program are highly encouraged to bring a vehicle. Carpooling with other students MAY be available but NOT guaranteed.
- Subsidized housing accommodations are available upon request if school is located in excess of 75 miles from NSA main HQs campus.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online between September 1st - November 15th. Applications received after the deadline, as well as incomplete packets, will not be considered.
To submit a resume online during open season, click any "Apply Online" link. Under "Basic Job Search", type in keywords "Summer Intern Program for Information Assurance" and click on "search." Select Summer Intern Program for Information Assurance and click "Apply Now." Follow directions as prompted.
Note: You may be required to submit an official transcript and a course listing.
If you have questions about the Summer Intern Program for Information Assurance, please contact us at the address above or call 1-866-NSA-HIRE. You may also email Summer_Interns@nsa.gov or call (410) 854-4726.