Occupational Health, Environmental and Safety Services (OHESS) Intern Program
About the Program
The NSA Occupational Health, Environmental and Safety Services Intern Program is an intense and exciting 12-week internship open to select college undergraduates majoring in Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Safety and Health, Fire Protection Engineering, Environmental Science and related fields. Interns will gain practical experience within the Environmental, Safety and Health Solutions Division.
Applications are accepted September 1st - November 15th each year.
Students are paid a competitive salary commensurate with their education level.
- Receive annual leave, sick leave and paid federal holidays
- Participation in agency-wide extracurricular programs
- Students who attend schools in excess of 75 miles from Ft. Meade, MD, are eligible for a round trip airfare ticket to and from school or mileage reimbursement up to the cost of a government-issued airline ticket.
- Daily transportation to and from work is not provided. Students participating in the program are highly encouraged to bring a vehicle. Carpooling with other students MAY be available but NOT guaranteed
- Subsidized housing accommodations are available upon request if school is located in excess of 75 miles from NSA main HQs campus
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must be eligible to be granted a security clearance.
- Must have a competitive GPA of 3.0 is preferred.
- Must be currently enrolled in a degree-seeking college or university program with at least one semester remaining following the internship.
- Must major in Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Safety and Health, Fire Protection Engineering, Environmental Science or a related field.
- Must be available for an operational interview and other applicable processing between the months of December 2013 and March 2014.
- Must be a computer-savvy self-starter with excellent organizational and communication skills
Skills and Abilities:
We are seeking candidates who can demonstrate a variety of skills and abilities including:
- Gathering and interpreting data from the sampling of chemical, physical, radiological, and biological stressors in the work environment, and applying knowledge of the control hierarchy to control/mitigate unsafe exposures;
- Conducting operational surveys to identify, assess, and document unsafe conditions and behaviors, and recommending appropriate controls;
- Conducting comprehensive, compliance-based, environmental field surveys in accordance with permit-required processes;
- Providing engineering support to construction projects (e.g., submittal reviews and acceptance testing of fire protection systems) to ensure that fire protection and life safety features are incorporated into facilities design and construction;
- Coordinating with occupational health professionals on medical surveillance programs required to monitor employees at risk of exposure; and
- Assisting ES&H professionals with data collection and analysis, education/training logistics, and records automation
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online on or before November 15th. Applications received after the deadline, as well as incomplete packages, will not be considered.
To submit a resume online during open season, click any "Apply Online" link. Under "Basic Job Search", type in keywords "OHESS Intern Program" and click on "Search". Select OHESS Intern Program and click "Apply Now." Follow directions as prompted.
To be considered for the OHESS Intern Program, your application should include:
- Official transcripts
- A resume
IMPORTANT: When applying online, you may only submit your resume. Please email the requested documentation to Summer_Interns@nsa.gov or by mail at the following address:
National Security Agency
Office of Recruitment
P.O. Box 1661, Suite 6779
Fort Meade, MD 20755-6779
Attn: MB3, OHESS Intern Program
Applications are not complete without the requested documentation.
If you have questions about the Occupational Health, Environmental and Safety Services Intern Program, please contact us at the address above or call 1-866-NSA-HIRE. You may also e-mail Summer_Interns@nsa.gov or call (410) 854-4726.