Occupational Health, Environmental and Safety Services (OHESS) Intern Program
About the Program
The NSA Occupational Health, Environmental and Safety Services Intern Program is an intense and exciting 12-week internship open to select college undergraduates majoring in Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Safety and Health, Biology, Chemistry or Environmental Science. Interns will gain practical Industrial Hygiene and Occupational Safety and Health within the Office of Occupational Health Environmental and Safety Services (OHESS).
Applications are accepted September 1st - November 15th each year.
Students are paid a competitive salary commensurate with their education level.
- Receive annual leave, sick leave and paid federal holidays
- Participation in agency-wide extracurricular programs
- Students who attend schools in excess of 75 miles from Ft. Meade, MD, are eligible for a round trip airfare ticket to and from school or mileage reimbursement up to the cost of a government-issued airline ticket.
- Subsidized housing accommodations are available upon request if school is located in excess of 75 miles from NSA main HQs campus
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must be eligible to be granted a security clearance.
- Must have a competitive GPA of 3.0 is preferred.
- Must be currently enrolled in a degree-seeking college or university program with at least one semester remaining following the internship.
- Must major in Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Safety and Health, Biology, Chemistry or Environmental Science concentration.
- Must be available for an operational interview and other applicable processing between the months of January and April 2013.
Candidates are expected to have completed courses in the following areas of study:
- Chemistry (general and organic)
- Industrial Hygiene
- Occupational Safety
- Environmental Sampling
Skills and Abilities:
We are seeking candidates who can demonstrate a variety of skills and abilities including:
- Conducting comprehensive baseline surveys of operations, to prioritize and plan sampling strategies of potential exposure hazards.
- Gathering and interpreting data from sampling chemical, physical, radiological and biological stressors in the work environment to identify health hazards and apply knowledge of industrial hygiene engineering controls to alleviate the hazard.
- Conducting specialized surveys involving indoor air quality to evaluate indoor environmental conditions to promote a healthy indoor environment that supports employee productivity.
- Coordinating with occupational health professionals on medical surveillance programs required to monitor the health status of employees at risk of exposure.
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online on or before November 15th. Applications received after the deadline, as well as incomplete packages, will not be considered.
To submit a resume online during open season, click any "Apply Online" link. Under "Basic Job Search", type in keywords "OHESS Intern Program" and click on "Search". Select OHESS Intern Program and click "Apply Now." Follow directions as prompted.
To be considered for the OHESS Intern Program, your application should include:
- Official transcripts
- A resume
IMPORTANT: When applying online, you may only submit your resume. Please email the requested documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at the following address:
National Security Agency
Office of Recruitment
P.O. Box 1661, Suite 6779
Fort Meade, MD 20755-6779
Attn: MB3, OHESS Intern Program
Applications are not complete without the requested documentation.
If you have questions about the Occupational Health, Environmental and Safety Services Intern Program, please contact us at the address above or call 1-866-NSA-HIRE. You may also e-mail email@example.com or call (410) 854-4726.