Human Resources Intern Program (HR)
About the Program
Summers at NSA will be educational and exciting for undergraduates majoring in Human Resources (HR). HR majors will gain practical HR experience while putting their intelligence and creativity to work at the world's technology leader and top cryptologic organization in the U.S. Intelligence Community. NSA HR Interns will spend the summer working in one these specialty areas: Total Compensation, HR Strategies, Recruitment and Staffing, Benefits and Employee Services, HR Information Systems, or Global HR Service Delivery.
Applications are accepted September 1st - November 15th each year.
Students are paid a competitive salary commensurate with their education level.
- Receive annual leave, sick leave and paid federal holidays
- Participation in agency-wide extracurricular programs
- Students who attend schools in excess of 75 miles from Ft. Meade, MD, are eligible for a round trip airfare ticket to and from school or mileage reimbursement up to the cost of a government-issued airline ticket.
- Subsidized housing accommodations are available upon request if school is located in excess of 75 miles from NSA main HQs campus
- Daily transportation to and from work is not provided. Students participating in the program are highly encouraged to bring a vehicle. Carpooling with other students MAY be available but NOT guaranteed.
- Must be a U.S. citizen.
- Must be eligible to be granted a security clearance.
- A minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 is preferred.
- Must be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university program; must have completed the junior year by the start of the internship; and have at least one semester remaining following the internship.
- Must provide official transcripts.
- Must major in Human Resources or have a Human Resources minor or concentration.
- Must be available for an operational interview and other applicable processing between the months of December 2013 and March 2014.
Candidates are expected to have completed a variety of courses in the following areas of study:
- Compensation and Benefits
- Employee and Labor Relations
- Employment Law
- Organizational Behavior
- HR Strategy
- Global HR
- Workforce Planning and Staffing
- Performance Management
Skills and Abilities
We are seeking candidates who can demonstrate a variety of skills and abilities including:
- Customer Service to anticipate and identify the needs of customers
- Consulting Skills to build effective relationships with line managers to help them strategically manage their human resources
- Written and Verbal Communication Skills to articulate HR strategies, initiatives, options and advice
- Ability to interpret and apply legislation and policies related to HR
- Work Management and Organizational Skills to manage multiple activities to accomplish desired end results
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online on or before November 15th. Applications received after the deadline, as well as incomplete packages, will not be considered.
To submit a resume online during open season, click any "Apply Online" link. Under "Basic Job Search", type in keywords "HR Intern Program" and click on "Search". Select HR Intern Program and click "Apply Now." Follow directions as prompted.
To be considered for HR Intern Program, your application should include:
- Official transcripts
- A resume
IMPORTANT: When applying online, you may only submit your resume. Please email the requested documentation to Summer_Interns@nsa.gov or by mail at the following address:
National Security Agency
Office of Recruitment
P.O. Box 1661, Suite 6779
Fort Meade, MD 20755-6779
Attn: MB3, HR Summer Intern Program
Applications are not complete without the requested documentation.
If you have questions about the Human Resources Summer Intern Program, please contact us at the address above or call 1-866-NSA-HIRE. You may also e-mail Summer_Interns@nsa.gov or call (410) 854-4726.