Cooperative Education Program
About the Program
You will operate under a rotational program, alternating semesters of full-time work with full-time study from entry into the program until graduation. We require a minimum of 52 weeks of co-op work experience prior to graduation. During your work tour, you will work a regular 40-hour week. Each work tour is designed to reveal the specific areas you may want to focus on as a career.
Electrical or Computer Engineering Majors
Students in the electrical or computer engineering fields will be involved in the design, development, testing and evaluation of electronic communications systems. These multidisciplinary assignments will reach to such rapidly advancing areas as optics, lasers, acoustics and microprocessors.
Computer Science Majors
Computer science majors will explore high-tech opportunities, such as object-oriented methodology, multimedia, data warehousing/data mining, design/analysis development of software and systems, client/server development, networking and internet technology.
Applications are accepted February 1st - May 15th and September 1st - December 15th of each year.
Salaries are highly competitive and determined by the percentage of credits completed toward a degree. Each 20 percent block of credits completed with at least a 3.0 GPA will allow you to be promoted to the next grade. Grades range from GGD-03/05 to GGD-07/01 which equates to $30,747 - $42,209 annually. These salaries include a locality-based comparability payment.
Full-time salaries for those who return after graduation with at least 52 weeks of work experience at NSA range from approximately $67,945 - $72,100 for electrical/computer engineers, and $63,851 - $68,006 for computer scientists.
- Receive annual leave, sick leave and paid federal holidays
- Students who attend schools in excess of 75 miles from Ft. Meade, MD, are eligible for a round trip airfare ticket to and from school or mileage reimbursement up to the cost of a government-issued airline ticket.
- Subsidized housing accommodations are available if school is located in excess of 75 miles from NSA main HQs campus
- Tuition assistance – one technical course per semester
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must be eligible to be granted a security clearance
- Must be a second semester college freshman or either semester during your sophomore
- A GPA of 3.0 or higher is preferred
- Must be majoring in electrical engineering, computer engineering or computer science
- Must be enrolled in a four-year college or university
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online between February 1st - May 15th and/or September 1st - December 15th. Applications received after these deadlines, as well as incomplete packages, will not be considered.
To submit a resume online during open season, click any "Apply Online" link. Under "Basic Job Search," type in keywords "Cooperative Education," and click on "Search." Select "Cooperative Education" and click "Apply Now." Follow directions as prompted.
For more information
If you would like additional information about the Cooperative Education Program, please contact us by calling 1-866-NSA-HIRE.