Cryptologic Access Summer Intern Program (CAP)
How would you like to spend your summer developing technological solutions that contribute to the security of our nation? Where can you work and see that your efforts are supporting the broader Intelligence Community and our Armed Forces? Does the prospect of applying your computer science, engineering, and math skills to the NSA/CSS Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) mission spark your interest? If so, you may be the next CAP intern to join NSA/CSS!
About the Program
The CAP brings college students into the SIGINT world for compensated internships during the summers after their freshman, sophomore, and junior years. This program permits students to actively participate in or support on-going Cryptologic Access Operations that satisfy National Intelligence requirements. As a CAP Intern, you will work directly under the guidance of veteran professionals managing specific SIGINT operations. In addition, you will have the opportunity to discover various career development opportunities for future permanent positions at the Agency.
CAP Interns will be hired on a Temporary Appointment for a term no more than 12 weeks following the beginning of the internship. A subsequent application is required. Interns must reapply yearly to participate in subsequent summers.
Applications are accepted September 1st - November 15th each year.
Interns are paid a competitive salary commensurate with their education level.
- Receive annual leave, sick leave and paid federal holidays
- Participation in agency-wide extracurricular programs
- Students who attend schools in excess of 75 miles from Ft. Meade, MD, are eligible for a round trip airfare ticket to and from school or mileage reimbursement up to the cost of a government-issued airline ticket.
- Daily transportation to and from work is not provided. Students participating in the program are highly encouraged to bring a vehicle. Carpooling with other students MAY be available but NOT guaranteed.
- Subsidized housing accommodations are available upon request if school is located in excess of 75 miles from NSA main HQs campus
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must be eligible to be granted a security clearance
- A cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher is preferred
- Must be a college freshman, sophomore or junior
- Prior military experience beneficial, but not required
- Students majoring in technical fields such as Computer Science, Electrical and Computer Engineering, Physics, or Math are preferred.
- Must be available for an operational interview and other applicable processing between the months of December 2013 and March 2014
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted on or before November 15th. Applications received after the deadline, as well as incomplete packages, will not be considered.
To submit a resume online during open season, click any "Apply Online" link. Under "Basic Job Search," type in keywords "Cryptologic Access Summer Intern Program" and click on "Search." Select "Cryptologic Access Summer Intern Program" and click "Apply Now." Follow the directions as prompted.
To be considered for the Cryptologic Access Summer Intern Program, you must submit a complete application package that includes:
- Official transcript (unofficial is acceptable if legible)
- A resume. A well-written resume will include:
- Your contact information
- Current and past degree seeking programs to include:
- major GPA.
- cumulative GPA.
- attendance dates.
- anticipated graduation date.
- degree objective.
- lists of relevant courses taken, including the current semester's course list.
- computer languages known (indicate skill level – ie. beginner, advanced, fluent, etc.).
- awards, honors, and recognitions.
- relevant experiences or projects.
- relevant work experiences.
IMPORTANT: When applying online, you may only submit your resume. Please email the requested documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail at the following address:
National Security Agency
Office of Recruitment
P.O. Box 1661, Suite 6779
Fort Meade, MD 20755-6779
Attn: MB3, Cryptologic Access Program
Applications are not complete without the requested documentation.
If you have questions about the Cryptologic Access Program, please contact us at the address above or call 1-866-NSA-HIRE. You may also e-mail Summer_Interns@nsa.gov or call (410) 854-4726.