Summer Program for Operations Research Technology (SPORT)
Spend your summer at NSA further developing your technical skills. As an Intern Analyst to the Operations Research, Modeling and Simulation Group at NSA, you'll learn how to apply scientific and quantitative methods to develop innovative solutions to unconventional problems exclusive to the Intelligence Community.
About the Program
The Summer Program for Operations Research Technology (SPORT) is a 12-week internship for graduate students enrolled in an M.S. or Ph.D. program who have experience with Applied Math, Mathematical Programming, Simulations, Computer Networking, or Computer Programming Languages. The goal of this program is to offer top graduate students, who have highly developed operations research skills, an opportunity to apply their academic knowledge in the stimulating professional atmosphere of one of the most advanced intelligence settings in the world.
Applications are accepted September 1st - November 15th each year.
Particular areas of technical interest include: Operations Research, Modeling and Simulation, Industrial Engineering, Management Science, Decision Analysis, Optimization, Mathematical Programming, Applied Mathematics, Probability and Statistics, and Computer Network Engineering.
Students are paid a competitive salary commensurate with their education level.
- Receive annual leave, sick leave and paid federal holidays
- Participation in agency-wide extracurricular programs
- Students who attend schools in excess of 75 miles from Ft. Meade, MD, are eligible for a round trip airfare ticket to and from school or mileage reimbursement up to the cost of a government-issued airline ticket.
- Daily transportation to and from work is not provided. Students participating in the program are highly encouraged to bring a vehicle. Carpooling with other students MAY be available but NOT guaranteed.
- Subsidized housing accommodations are available upon request if school is located in excess of 75 miles from NSA main HQs campus
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Must be eligible to be granted a security clearance
- Must be enrolled in an M.S. or Ph.D. program in the above named programs or closely associated fields of study and have the requisite skills to do OR modeling.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 or above is preferred
- Must be available for an operational interview and other applicable processing between the months of December 2013 and March 2014
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted online on or before November 15th. Applications received after the deadline, as well as incomplete packets, will not be considered.
To submit a resume online during open season, click any "Apply Online" link. Under "Basic Job Search," type in keywords "Summer Program for Operations Research Technology," and click on "search." Select "Summer Program for Operations Research Technology" and click "Apply Now." Follow directions as prompted.
To be considered for the SPORT, you must submit a complete application package that includes:
- Official transcripts
- A resume
IMPORTANT: When applying online, you may only submit your resume. Please email the requested documentation to Summer_Interns@nsa.gov or by mail at the following address:
National Security Agency
Office of Recruitment
9800 Savage Road, Suite 6678
Fort Meade, MD 20755-6678
Applications are not complete without the requested documentation.
If you have questions about the Summer Program for Operations Research Technology, please contact us at the address above or call 1-866-NSA-HIRE. You may also e-mail Summer_Interns@nsa.gov or call (410) 854-4726.