Mitchell Brown served as a radioman in the Signal Corps during WWII. After the war he attended Hilltop Radio-Electronics Institute, a black-owned electronics school in Washington, D. C. open to African-Americans. In 1948 he was hired by the Army to work at Arlington Hall with the title of engineering technician. He worked side by side with his white counterparts. Although, by all accounts, the environment for African-Americans in the Research and Development organization was generally positive and conducive to professional growth, the white engineering technicians with less or comparable qualifications were hired at higher grades than the blacks. Nonetheless, Mitchell Brown spent his entire 30-year career involved with the development of secure voice communications capabilities. He became an expert on technical devices and ended his career as test director of the Digital Voice Processor Consortium Test Program, which led to the selection of equipment for the Secure Telephone Unit (STU) II. He was commended by Lt. Gen. Allen for his efforts in the development of a narrowband digital voice processor. Mr. Brown retired in 1976.